Monday, February 25, 2013

Filipino this Way: The Traditional Filipino Body Scrub


In this article, I will introduce you to the old way of Filipino skin exfoliation or body scrubbing. Well, actually some are still using this method to this very day especially the elders! ;)

Okay, drum rolls please!.....


Panghilud!! (that's in Tagalog dialect, but in Cebuano it's called "Lugod")



To the uninitiated, panghilud or lugod is a stone used in scrubbing out dirt and grime from the skin during bathing. It is widely used by many Filipinos back in the old days. Much like how we use loofah. This stone is usually found at the riverbank. And mind you, it rids out dirt real nice especially the calluses on your feet.yeah I know, gross! ;D 

With many alternatives in body scrubbing, some have forgotten about this stone. I mean, I think it's about time that we,Filipinos, pay homage to this stone which has been a part of our childhood even if you won't dare admit it. 'Twas like, taking a bath is not complete without it. Remember when your Lolas (grandmas) used to scold you when they found out that you didn't use the "panghilud/lugod"? :D I know right. Well, it's either you love it or hate it but somehow, somewhere, sometime in your distant past, you have come across this nature's wonder and gift to Filipinos.

According to Dr. Leopoldo P. de Silva Jr., Assistant Professor of Geology of the University of the Philippines Diliman. In his article, "The Geology of the 'Panghilod', the Traditional Pinoy Stone Tool', Dr. de Silva said that panghilud generally possesses three important attributes:

1.) Small enough to be hand-held
2.) A naturally polished or smoothened surface. (Unless you really need something rough to do the job)
3.) Flat or oblate in shape

Other Uses

This simple tool which probably dates back to antiquity is multi-use. ;D




1.)Self defense at home. Okay so imagine taking a bath using your panghilod. Let's assume, your bathroom is outside, built separately from your house (the traditional type of Philippine bathroom), it's a bit open that your "friendly neighboorhood manyakis(maniac)" would want to be up-close and personal. Don't fret! Your handy dandy panghilud will do the trick. It's a stone, it will surely give a good bump on the head with anybody it hits. ;) Get it?

2.) Self defense on the go. It's small enough to fit in your bag so you could bring it with you wherever you go. Don't worry, you don't need permit to carry it and it will pass the metal detector. ;D What's more, you don't have to worry how to be grime-free no matter where you'll be spending the night over. 

3.) Excellent paper weight. Some stones/panghilud has some nice shape, color and texture that nobody at the office would suspect what it is. You could have it on your desk as decoration and, who knows? You might need a shower in the office so they really come in handy.

4.)Emergency hammer. Need to fix something but you don't have a hammer? Panghilud to the rescue!

5.)Stone with great power. If there's something strange in the neighborhood...."Ding, ang bato!..Darna!"(the ever famous line of the Philippine's comic superheroine,a fictional character-Darna.Do the research.) LOL

That's it!That's the Limitless possibilities for our dear Panghilud. 


I have read somewhere that this stone is sold for 10 pesos to some public markets here in Philippines. Imagine that, the lowly lugod already has a price tag! And it actually reminds me of one expression we have here in Mindanao - "Mamaligya nalang og lugod!" This is usually said by the broke and desperate. I never thought it would come to pass that people would actually be selling "lugod"! hehe! There's another joke that I've heard about it. Other Filipino, when asked, "what's the best business?-Selling Lugod".haha! Of course nobody would think of selling lugod/panghilud for you can always get it for free at the riverbank.But now, hmmm..maybe there's already a demand for it. ;D

There you go my gorgeous readers, I hope you enjoyed this blog post. 'Till next time! :)

[UPDATED]



I've done a product review of the two body scrubs that I love.

You can check it out here: Beauty Products Reviews





Filipina Blogger/Beauty Enthusiast
Makeup,Nail Polish & Sheet Mask Hoarder
Proud Pinay!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome! I love reading what you have to say so please feel free to leave a comment. ;) Thanks for visiting everyone!Take care! :)

~Cj